Why Eddie left Peavey??

Unconfirmed rumors that may or may not be true., but people are talking about them...

Moderators: Moderators, Admins

deckard

Why Eddie left Peavey??

Postby deckard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:02 pm

Does anyone know why Eddie left Peavey?  I never did get the official scoop as to why he left.  It seems like he's lost a lot of money by not selling the Wolfgangs to his millions of fans anymore.  Did he leave so he could start selling the EVH Art Series guitars (this makes the most sense)?  However, I personally don't think the Art Series guitars are nearly as nice as the comparable (in price) Wolfgangs.  Or, did he just get tired of the Peavey thing?  

Anybody know???
Mother Nature is threefold: She is impersonal, amoral, and persistent.

duffer

Re: Why Eddie left Peavey??

Postby duffer » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:10 pm

I thought his contract with Peavey was due to expire anyways.  I don't think it was a abrupt split or anything...
<br>

"I'm very simple in my complication and very complicated in my simplicity."

"The Beatles will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with Van Halen."
-Alex Van Halen

deckard

Postby deckard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:24 pm

Duffer wrote:
I thought his contract with Peavey was due to expire anyways.  I don't think it was a abrupt split or anything...

Yeah, but why wouldn't he just renew it?  It's not like he's losing money?

I don't know.

duffer

Postby duffer » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:29 pm

I think it has something to do with him wanting to pursue his works with Charvel on making his EVH Art Series Guitars.
<br>

"The Beatles will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with Van Halen."

-Alex Van Halen

deckard

Postby deckard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:36 pm

Duffer wrote:
I think it has something to do with him wanting to pursue his works with Charvel on making his EVH Art Series Guitars.

You're probably right, I just think he would have been better off continuing to endorse the Peavey Wolfgangs. I think they are a much better guitar than the EVH Art Series guitars.

JMO

duffer

Postby duffer » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:54 pm

deckard wrote:
You're probably right, I just think he would have been better off continuing to endorse the Peavey Wolfgangs. I think they are a much better guitar than the EVH Art Series guitars.

JMO

Yea I agree, the wolfgang's were much more versatile IMO.

Peavey is going to debut a guitar called "Carina" to replace the Wolfgang.  It's going to come with a bunch of the great features of the Wolfgang and also combine other features from other Peavey guitars.  They also Computer-shape the necks on them so they have the exact same consistant shape and neck radius.
<br>

-Alex Van Halen

shaggy

Postby shaggy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:01 am

Remember, Ed FOUGHT to keep tone knobs off his guitars.  Hartley Peavey said "Guitarists WANT tone knobs" -

I've never personall known a guitarist to use his tone knob - ever.  So basically this proves HP knows nothing about what guitarists want... at least not ROCK guitarists.

Hartley also doesn't really like trems so he feels that nobody likes them.

I bought a Wolfgang .... heck, the only reason I ever bought a Peavey in the first place is because of Ed.  I'll play a guitar with EVH's initials on it, why would I play a guitar with a guitar company executive's (salesman)initials on it?

Don't be surpirsed if Peavey falls back into obscurity and just becomes a footnote in guitar history.  If Satch ever leaves (don't be surprised if he does), Peavey will go back downhill (where they came from in the first place).  Satch is a good player, but I don't think he has the mass appeal of EVH so it may happen anyway.  

Knox

Postby Knox » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:24 pm

Its common knowledge.....he slept with Hartley's Mum... [oops]
2006 Dargie Delight Luke (in the making!)
2005 Ltd Edition JP6 with Piezo in Buttercream
2000 Trans Gold Standard Quilt Axis
2006 Ibanez PGM 301
Custom Made SRV Number 1
Custom Made Frankenstrat
1987 Ibanez Jem 777DY

Feed your obsession...Hear your obsession...choose Ernie Ball Musicman...

ESP

Postby ESP » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:38 pm

ed roman said he played eddies wolfgang, and halen told him its the same as you would buy in a guitar store, roman replyed "when was the last time you was in a music shop"? eddie never give an answer.. roman says that eddies wolfgang/s are not the same as what we are buying..i quite belive him as well..
My generic signature...

the_fooj

Postby the_fooj » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:14 pm

edwardvanhalen wrote:
ed roman? who is this guy. he don't know jack.

here come all the arguments... he owns a guitar shop in las vegas that is pretty famous.

many people have different feelings about this guy. personally, i think he's knowledgable but just an ass. but yeah, i believe that ed story.
My generic signature...

zenpunk

Postby zenpunk » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:20 am

You guys have it backwards. PEAVEY did not want to renew the contract. I know this will start a fire storm of protest, and I love Eddie personally, but he has some issues, and can be difficult to deal with sometimes.....
My generic signature...

Don_Corleone

Postby Don_Corleone » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:29 am

zenpunk wrote:
You guys have it backwards. PEAVEY did not want to renew the contract. I know this will start a fire storm of protest, and I love Eddie personally, but he has some issues, and can be difficult to deal with sometimes.....

Can I point you in the direction of this thread:

http://www.eddievanhalen.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=forum&board=rumormill&op=display&num=675309

The Don - Roth Army Moderator/Dump Meister.

WolfgangPlayer

Postby WolfgangPlayer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Zenpunk is exactly right.  The Peavey rep I talked to at the Summer NAMM show this year gave me some insight on just how hard it is to deal with Eddie - if you can catch him sober that is.  No matter, he'll always be my hero.
The Fender/Charvel guys told me the same thing and gave some examples with the Art Series collaboration.  Guitar players boght the Wolfgang and put it to good use.  The only people buying the art series Charvels are collectors.
>Mike<

GilmourD

Postby GilmourD » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:10 pm

ESP wrote:
ed roman said he played eddies wolfgang, and halen told him its the same as you would buy in a guitar store, roman replyed "when was the last time you was in a music shop"? eddie never give an answer.. roman says that eddies wolfgang/s are not the same as what we are buying..i quite belive him as well..

Yeah, but doesn't Ed Roman also claim to have built Edward's 5150 and other guitars of the king?

I've worked on the inside of the musical instrument business and can tell you first hand... Ed Roman is a marketing executive shmuck, not a FORTHRIGHTLY knowledgeable musical instrument expert. Sure, he probably knows a whole lot... But people that break the rules usually know said rules. The guy will trash anybody and everything just so he can make a buck off you.

Go look at www.edroman.com and I guarantee you that almost every product he has listed of his own contains a knock against another product.

On that note... You want expert knowledge of Eddie's gear? I personally come here and read the posts of Shaggy, Dino, MGW, Frankenstraat and others, and I would guarantee you that there's more quality craftsmanship in any one guitar made by a user on this site than there is in Ed Roman's entire catalog.
Guitars:
Strats, Teles, Les Paul, Wolfgang, and... Oh, I lost track...

Amps:
Bugera 1960 Infinium -> Jet City Jettenuator -> Peavey 412MS
Jet City PicoValve -> Jet City JCA24 2x12
Modded '69 Fender Bassman
Line6 POD X3 Live

Return to “Rumor Mill”