EVH D-Tuna on OTHER STRINGS??

What'cha got? Guitars, Amps, Effects Pedals, Rackmount stuff... Show us your Toys!

Moderators: Moderators, Admins

robgeetar

EVH D-Tuna on OTHER STRINGS??

Postby robgeetar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:34 pm

First time poster, first time on the site, just a whole first timer! But basically I had a question I could not find anywhere online. My question is:

The EVH D-Tuna, can it be used on different strings other than the E string to drop tune to D?

What my plan for this is I want to be able to use it on the D string but intonate it so that when the D-Tuna is initiated it would be in E. Short story: I wanna uptune my D string to E.

Will be using this for full octave string skipping, almost what Paul Gilbert did with his double neck (tunning D up to E) except I will not be removing the strings as he did. Any thoughts? Anyone actually do this before? is it even possible considering the gauge or such? I've never actually played with a D-Tuna, let alone see one in person. Thanks and keep rockin!

-robgeetar

(side note on gear): Jackson Dinky with OG Floyd, tuned 1/2 step down, .10 gauge strings

Panek911

RE: EVH D-Tuna on OTHER STRINGS??

Postby Panek911 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:01 pm

I've played some EVH Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna. When tuned and intonated correctly, the D-Tuna does wonders, but one slight error and you will be too sharp or flat. I myself have pondered on this question for some time now and would love a system where I can play in standard tuning, drop all my strings down to D and back to standard. If you have the money, get a steinberger with a Transtrem. That system stransposses the strings so you can play them in any pitch and tuning and stay in tune just by lowering or raising the whammy bar. I think if you were to install the D-Tuna on all strings, I don't think it would work out the way I described above. Maybe until you bent the strings or used the whammy bar, but then it would go outta tune.

robgeetar

RE: EVH D-Tuna on OTHER STRINGS??

Postby robgeetar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 am

Awesome info! thanks! I will actually be planning on using the d-tuna only on one string so hopefully the gauge of the string won't give me a problem since it will used on the D string to tune up to E. But thanks! I will give it a try hopefully in this next week and will comment on how it worked! Thanks!!

Return to “My Gear”